Saturday, February 14, 2009

Spaces Between Us

It is often said that "distance makes the heart grow fonder." While this phrase has become cliche, there will always be truth that resounds from this simple statement.

For those of you who do not know, I have spent an average of 2 nights a week on a bus this winter -- this will continue until summer. Normally, I spend 4 days in Minnesota working and 3 days in Chicago spending time with my wife. While the time has been difficult and sleep has become less regular, I wouldn't trade the time I have with her for anything.

Distance, for the past few years, has been a common theme in my life and the life of the band. Most of my relationship with my wife was spent at a distance. Most of last year for the band was spent trying to make rehearsals and gigs work while I would run in and out of town. While I think the distance was mostly good (and by mostly good I mean it made our hearts grow fonder) for my personal relationship with my wife, Boiling Point probably suffered because there was not a consistent time for rehearsal, gigs, and hanging out. However, it has become obvious that we have people who are willing to make things work no matter what the circumstances are.

Thankfully, distance, for Boiling Point, has become less of an issue with the current arrangement, but it will be a breath of fresh air when the people I care about the most are all in the same location. I keep telling myself, "not long now, not long now, only 4 months to go..."

If you are reading this and have to suffer some kind of distance, my thoughts are with you. I hope that through this, for you, faith will grow stronger, hearts will grow fonder, and bonds stronger than you would have ever known without these spaces between.

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment